Ingredients for Prawns Preparation:
600gms (peeled and deveined)
Ginger Garlic paste
Red chilly powder
Garam Masala paste-I
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Cloves - 6-8
Cinnamon - inch size pieces 2 no’s
Elachi - 3-4
Poppy seeds (khuskhus) 1.5 tbsp
Cleaning the prawns:
- Squeeze half lime to the peeled and deveined prawns. Mix well and leave it for 5 minutes. Then rinse under tap water for 3-4 times. Drain the water well.
- Mix ginger garlic paste, red chilly powder, turmeric, salt and ¼th cup of water to prawns.
- Cover and cook on high heat. Continue cooking till all the water gets evaporated.
- Heat ½ cup of oil in a pan and fry the boiled prawns till they turns into semi crispy.
- Now, mix garam masala paste-I and fry them well for another 2-3 mins.
- Finally mix the curds. Cover and cook for 5 mins. It turns into gravy. Off the flame and keep it aside.
Ingredients for Biryani Preparation:
1kg (Soak in water for 30mins)
Ginger Garlic paste
Whole Garam masala - II (into coarse powder)
Cinnamon inch pcs: 4 no’s
Black cumin (shazeera) 1tsp
(Grind the above ingredients into coarse powder)
Bay leaves : 3-4 no’s
2 no’s (squeezed)
Coriander leaves / Cilantro
One bundle (chopped)
one bundle (chopped)
Fried onions (optional)
½ cup (optional)
Garam masala powder-III
1 tsp( to sprinkle)
(2 cloves, ½” cinnamon, Cardamom 1, ¼tsp Black cumin)
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 mins in water (before cooking) and drain the water.
- Make a fine paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Chop cilantro and mint.
- Prepare 2 types of garam masala as mentioned above.
- If you are using fried onions for garnishing, Slice 2 large onions and deep fry them in oil till brown in color.
- Squeeze the lemons and remove the seeds.
- Water: For one cup of rice 1:1.5 cups of water.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed large vessel.
- Fry bay leaves and coarse powdered garam masala-II, till aroma comes out.
- Then add onions and fry till color changes to pink.
- Add ginger garlic-green chillies paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes.
- Now add the measured water and salt to taste. Cover with a lid and bring to boil.
- When water is boiling add drained rice and mix gently. Cover with tight lid and cook on high flame. When almost 3/4th rice is cooked. Remove half the quantity of rice into a plate and keep aside. Level the rice like a layer.
- On top of the rice pour the prawns along with gravy and level it. On top of that sprinkle lemon juice, cilantro, mint, garam masala powder-III and fried onions (optional).
- Now spread the remaining rice as top layer and pour the ghee evenly.
- Cover with a tight lid and place a heavy object on lid and place it on hot tawa. Cook for 20-30 minutes on low flame.
- Check the rice, whether it is cooked or not. If you find bit grainy, sprinkle ½ cup of water, cover and put it back on tawa. Cook it for another 10-15 minutes.
- Off the flame and mix gently with a fork and serve hot.