Friday, October 29, 2010
Preparation time: 1hr (excluding marination time)
No of servings: 4 persons
Chicken Marination Ingredients
|Whole chicken||1kg (cut into medium sized pieces)|
|Ginger Garlic paste||3tbsp|
|Cardamom||4 (grind into powder)|
|Cumin seeds||1tsp (grind into powder)|
|Cinnamon||4 (inch size pieces)|
|Red chilly powder||1tsp|
|Green chillies||15 to 20|
|Coriander leaves||3/4th bundle|
|Yogurt||250g (or) 1cup|
- In a blender , blend green chillies, coriander and mint leaves into coarse paste (do not add water).
- Wash the chicken and drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, put all the above ingredients and mix well. To this add chicken and mix well. Cover and place in refrigerator 4-6hrs. (Overnight marination is also good).
(Biryani) Rice Ingredients:
|Whole garam masala||Cinnamon 3 (inch size pieces)|
Cardamon 4 to 6
Cloves 6 to 8
Bay leaves 2
Star Anise 1
|Water||to boil the rice|
- Soak Basmati Rice in water for 30minutes. After 30minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
- Bring water to boiling stage in a heavy bottomed vessel. When water is boiling add salt to taste, whole garam masala spices, Shajeera and oil. Keep flame on high and add soaked rice. Mix and cover with the lid. When rice stars boiling remove the lid and allow to cook only for 1 (or) 2 minutes and drain the the water.
Ingredients to Dham the rice:
|Boiled eggs||4 or 5 (cut into halves)|
|Coriander and Mint leaves||1/2 cup chopped|
|Onions||100 g (sliced and fried in oil until golden in color)|
|Saffron strands (optional)||few (soak in 2tbsp of warm milk)|
Cooking on Stove top
- Heat heavy bottomed vessel and pour 1/4cup of oil. Coat the oil all sides of the vessel.
- Keep the flame on high and add marinated chicken. On top of the chicken add cooked rice and spread evenly.
- Arrange eggs (cut side down). Add fried onions, chopped coriander and mint leaves and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle lime juice and saffron milk.
- Pour remaining oil and ghee (ghee is optional), starting from sides.
- Cover the vessel with thick kitchen towel and put the lid tightly (this step is to lock the steam).
- Put this dish on heated heavy bottomed tawa or pan. And dham the rice for 30-40min on medium low heat.
- Ready to serve.
Friday, October 22, 2010
|Garlic flakes||2 (peeled and chopped)|
|Ginger||1”pieces (peeled and chopped)|
|Dry Red chillies||4-6|
|Onions||1/2cup (finely chopped)|
|Coriander leaves||1/4cup (finely chopped)|
|Curry leaves||few (chopped)|
|Oil||for deep frying|
- Soak Channa dal for 4hrs-6hrs. Wash nicely and drain the water well. Take 2-3tbsp of Channa dal and keep aside
- In a blender add Channa dal, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, red chill's and salt. Grind into course paste. (sprinkle water only if required).
- To this add chopped onions, green chillies(optional), soaked Channa dal, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Mix nicely .
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Wet your hands and take a small portion of paste into your hands and pat them like patties and drop them in hot oil. Fry until golden brown in color on medium heat.
- Pull out from oil and drain them on paper towel. Serve hot with coconut chutney or tomato sauce and Chai.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
|Cauliflower||50gms (separate into small florets)|
|Peas (fresh or frozen)||50gms|
|Potato (optional)||50gms (peeled and chopped)|
|Paneer||100gms (grated or chopped)|
|Green chillies||2 chopped|
|Ginger garlic paste||1tsp|
|Red chilly powder||1tsp|
Garam Masala paste
|Dry coconut (very fine powder)||1tbsp|
|Cardamom||1 (or) 2|
|Dhaniya seeds powder||1tsp|
|Cumin seeds powder||1/2tsp|
- Grind the above garam masala into paste.
- Heat tbsp of oil. Fry diced onions, tomatoes and chopped green chillies and cook till tomatoes are mashed. Then grind them into paste.
- Put all chopped vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, beans and peas) in a microwave bowl, add water and bowl them for 7 to 10 minutes or till vegetables are semi-cooked. Drain the water. (reserve water)
- Heat remaining oil. Add onion, tomato paste and ginger garlic paste. Fry till you see oil on sides. To this add garam masala paste, turmeric, salt and red chilly powder. Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add semi boiled vegetables and water. Mix well. Cover and cook till gravy thicken.
- When gravy is almost done add grated (or) chopped paneer and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Off the flame and serve hot with roti or naan or fried rice or pulao
No of servings : 2-3persons
Cooking time : 30mins (including pressure cooking dals)
|Moong dal, Channa dal, Red gram dal||1/8thcup each (or) 2tbsp each|
|Ginger||2tbsp finely chopped|
|Garlic||3cloves (finely chopped)|
|Onion||1/4cup finely chopped|
|Green chillies||3 finely chopped|
|Whole garam masala||1-cardamom, 2-cloves, small pcs- cinnamon |
|Red chilly powder||1tsp|
|Tadka seasonings||Urad dal-1/2tsp, Cumin seeds and mustard’s-1/4tsp each, Red chilly-1 and few curry leaves|
- Combine all the dal to wash and pressure cook them by adding enough water. Cook till dal is cooked nicely.
- Heat 2tsp oil. Make sure the oil is nice and hot. Add crushed whole garam masala and fry for seconds and add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies . Fry them well.
- Now add chopped onions and continue to fry for few seconds. Meanwhile whisk the cooked dal or mash it with dal masher. Keep aside.
- Add all powdered ingredients - cumin powder, coriander powder, amchoor, red chilly powder and turmeric. Mix well and fry for few seconds.
- Add dal and salt to taste. Mix well and cook on medium flame for 5mins. If the dal is too thick add 1/4cup - 1/2cup of water. (depending on the consistency you like). Off the flame.
- Finally, give tadka/ tempering with remaining oil and ghee.
- Garnish and serve hot with roti.
|Spicy Dal fry and Mooli masala Roti|
Monday, October 4, 2010
|Rice flakes||1/2 cup|
|Curd (sour)||1 cup|
|Onions (medium sized)||1 (finely chopped)|
|Green chillies||6 (finely chopped)|
|Cumin seeds/ jeera||1tsp|
- Soak rice flakes in curd for 2hrs and soak rice in water for 4hrs.
- Grind rice and rice flakes along with curd in mixer jar into smooth paste. Add required water to while grinding. The batter consistency should be like dosa batter.
- Take this batter into a bowl and add onions, greenchilles, cumin seeds and salt. Mix well and cover the batter and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours or overnight for fermenting.
- Now heat tawa and take one ladleful of batter and pour on tawa starting from sides and finishing off in the middle. Not need to spread like ordinary dosa. Pour one 1tsp of oil on sides and when it turn to light golden brown, turn and fry on the other side.
- Serve with any chutney.
Saturday, October 2, 2010
Naarisakhi's online POHA FEAST CONTEST on Shri Krishna Janmasthami. My entry for this contest was "POHA DOSA/ RICE FLAKES DOSA". Awarded me with 50cashpoints and announced as WINNER for this contest