Preparation time: 1hr (excluding marination time)
No of servings: 4 persons
Chicken Marination Ingredients
|Whole chicken||1kg (cut into medium sized pieces)|
|Ginger Garlic paste||3tbsp|
|Cardamom||4 (grind into powder)|
|Cumin seeds||1tsp (grind into powder)|
|Cinnamon||4 (inch size pieces)|
|Red chilly powder||1tsp|
|Green chillies||15 to 20|
|Coriander leaves||3/4th bundle|
|Yogurt||250g (or) 1cup|
- In a blender , blend green chillies, coriander and mint leaves into coarse paste (do not add water).
- Wash the chicken and drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, put all the above ingredients and mix well. To this add chicken and mix well. Cover and place in refrigerator 4-6hrs. (Overnight marination is also good).
(Biryani) Rice Ingredients:
|Whole garam masala||Cinnamon 3 (inch size pieces)|
Cardamon 4 to 6
Cloves 6 to 8
Bay leaves 2
Star Anise 1
|Water||to boil the rice|
- Soak Basmati Rice in water for 30minutes. After 30minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
- Bring water to boiling stage in a heavy bottomed vessel. When water is boiling add salt to taste, whole garam masala spices, Shajeera and oil. Keep flame on high and add soaked rice. Mix and cover with the lid. When rice stars boiling remove the lid and allow to cook only for 1 (or) 2 minutes and drain the the water.
Ingredients to Dham the rice:
|Boiled eggs||4 or 5 (cut into halves)|
|Coriander and Mint leaves||1/2 cup chopped|
|Onions||100 g (sliced and fried in oil until golden in color)|
|Saffron strands (optional)||few (soak in 2tbsp of warm milk)|
Cooking on Stove top
- Heat heavy bottomed vessel and pour 1/4cup of oil. Coat the oil all sides of the vessel.
- Keep the flame on high and add marinated chicken. On top of the chicken add cooked rice and spread evenly.
- Arrange eggs (cut side down). Add fried onions, chopped coriander and mint leaves and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle lime juice and saffron milk.
- Pour remaining oil and ghee (ghee is optional), starting from sides.
- Cover the vessel with thick kitchen towel and put the lid tightly (this step is to lock the steam).
- Put this dish on heated heavy bottomed tawa or pan. And dham the rice for 30-40min on medium low heat.
- Ready to serve.