BASIC IDLI BATTER:
|Urad dal||1 cup|
|Idli Rawa||2 cups|
|Rice flakes||1/8th cup|
- Wash and soak Urad dal, rice flakes and Idli rawa separately for 4-6hrs.
- In a mixer jar or grinder put washed urad dal, rice flakes and grind into fine paste by adding water till soft and fluffy.
- Wash rava and take hand full of rawa and squeeze as much you can. Combine both rawa and batter and mix well by adding salt to taste.
- Cover and keep the batter in a warm place overnight to let the idli batter ferment.
- Now batter is ready for making idli's.
|Toor Dal||1/2 cup|
|Vegetables||Bottle gourd - 8 small pieces|
Carrot - 1 / 50 g (cut into sticks)
Ladyfingers - 4 (cut into 2” size)
Tomatoes - 2 (diced)
Shallots / small onions - 4 -6
|Tamarind||small size (extract the juice)|
|Green chillies||4 split|
|Coriander leaves||hand full|
|Jaggery||1 - 2 tbsp|
Sambar Powder :
|Urad Dal||1 tsp|
|Channa Dal||1 tsp|
|Coriander seeds||1 tsp|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/4 tsp|
|Red chilies||4 - 6|
- Dry roast all the above ingredients.
- Cool it down and blend into fine powder.
Tempering Seasonings :
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Garlic pods||4 (flatten)|
|Curry leaves||one string|
- Pressure cook Toor Dal, till dal is cooked.
- Boil vegetables in salt and turmeric water.
- When vegetables are cooked add tamarind juice and boil till raw smell disappears.
- Add smashed dal, enough water to make it medium thick, salt to taste, coriander and few curry leaves. Cover and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Add sambar powder and Jaggery. Boil it for another 3-4 minutes.
- Off the flame and pour hot tempering seasonings.
- Garnish with coriander and 2 tbsp of coconut.
- Serve with Rice, Idli, Dosa, Wada....
Tomatoes - 250 gm
Green chillies - 8
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Tempering : Urad dal - tsp, cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp, red chilly - 2, curry leaves - few.
Oil - 2 tbsp
- Heat tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and green chillies. Cook for a minute. Add roughly chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 3-5mins and off the flame.
- Cool it down and grind into paste.
- Transfer to a bowl. Give tempering with remaining oil and pour it on chutney.
- Ready to serve.