Mutton Biryani , Chilly Eggs and Onion Tomato Raita
For this biryani we need Chitti muthuyala rice. This looks like small grain rice and it has amazing smell. But, I tried with regular basmati rice. The taste is very good. Cook accordingly as instructed below. Recipe courtesy : Cooking Show
2 cups / 400 g
250g (sliced lengthwise)
6 - 8 slit
Red chilly powder
1 tbsp, plus 1 tsp
½ tsp, plus ½ tsp
Ginger garlic paste
2tbsp, plus 1tsp
Dry Coconut powder (or) fresh coconut paste
Whole Garam Masala
Cloves - 8,
Cardamom - 5,
Cinnamon -no. 4 (inch size pieces)
Star anise - 1,
Marati moggu- 1
- Wash mutton and drain well.
- To this add 2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, tsp of red chilly powder, ½ tsp of turmeric, salt and less than cup of water. Mix well and cover with lid.
- Pressure cook up to three whistles on medium high flame. Off the flame and allow pressure to release.
- Separate mutton from water. Reserve (mutton) water for cooking the rice.
- Soak Biryani rice for 20 minutes in water.
- Heat ½ cup oil in pressure pan. Fry whole garam masala spice's till aroma flavour comes out.
- Add onions and green chillies. Fry till onions are golden brown in color.
- Add tsp of ginger garlic paste and fry for few movements.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix tsp of chilly powder, 2 tbsp coconut powder/ paste and 1 tbsp coriander powder in little water. Add to onions mixture and fry it for couple of minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and fry it for another couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir well. Cover and cook till tomatoes are nicely cooked and mashed.
- Add curd and stir well.
- Now, add salt and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add mutton (without water) and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add soaked rice and 2 cups of mutton water(see first point) or hot water. Mix and check the salt at this point.
- Mix and close with the pressure cooker lid (do not put regulator/ weight valve) and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes or till water evaporates.
- After 10 minutes, place cooker on hot tawa and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes on medium high flame.
- Serve hot with raita.
In picture I served with Onion-Cucumber Raita and Chilly Eggs.