Bommidayalu / Smelt fish
Onions (medium large in size)
Red Chilly powder
Ginger garlic paste
(grind into fine paste)
Cinnamon - 2 (inch size pecs no.2)
Cardamom - 2-4
Poppy seeds - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Cloves - no.8
Cumin seeds - ½ tsp (optional)
For cleaning fish :
- Clean and wash the fish under tap water for 5-6 times. Now add cup buttermilk, turmeric and salt. Soak it for 5mins. Then finally wash for one more time with water. This step is to avoid fish smell.
- To washed fish mix ginger garlic paste , red chilly powder, turmeric and salt. keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry till onion turns to pink.
- Then add marinated fish and arrange them. Allow to cook on medium heat for 2-3mins. Then turn the fish to other side and cook for 2-3 min.
- Now add 2.5 to 3 cups water. Keep the flame to high and allow to boil for 5 min.
- Add garam masala paste and mix carefully. Cover and cook for another 5 min or till the gravy thickens on medium heat.
- Off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves and cover with lid for 5 min.
- Serve with hot rice.