I guess India’s most famous Chaat is SAMOSA CHAAT after PANI PURI. To eat this chaat I used to go to “Batani bandi” (street corner) near Gandhi Park, Rajahmundry. He used to serve hot batani curry (white peas curry) with Irani Samosa, topping with onions, tomatoes, spices, ghee and Cilantro. AaaHaa....tastiest and delicious chaat I feel so.
Got this simple and quick chaat recipe from one of my Web-blogger KAVYA NAIMISH. I tried with white peas and with little modifications I made this chaat and served with Aloo Tikki and with some topping Chutneys. The taste was excellent and everybody loved it. Thanks to KAVYA’S NAIMISH and her recipe link is here : Kavya's Kitchen - Cutlet Chaat
Servings 5-6 persons:
|Dry White peas (or) Yellow pea||1.5cups|
|Onions (big)||1 chopped|
|Tomatoes (medium)||2 chopped|
|Turmeric||½ tsp, plus ¼ tsp|
|Red chiily powder||1tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||¾ tbsp|
|Chat masala||1- 1½ tsp|
|Oil||2 - 3 tbsp|
- Soak Peas in more water for 1-1½ day to reduce “Phytic Acid Content” or soak atleast 8hrs to overnight minimum. Give 2-3 washes and pressure cook in water up to 3 steams on medium high heat. While pressure cooking add salt to taste and ¼ tsp of turmeric.
- Heat oil in a pot. Fry onions and green chillies and cook till onions are cooked. Add turmeric,coriander-cumin seeds powder and fry it for few movements.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till tomatoes are mashed.
- Mix chilly powder and salt to taste.
- Now add cooked peas (mash it with spoon lightly) and stir well. Add required water and bring to boil and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Mix chat masala and cook for another couple of minutes and off the flame.
- Chaat is ready to serve
Plating Ingredients per person:
|Chaat Curry||1 cup|
|Aloo tikki or Patties or Samosa||1 (or) 2|
|Finely Chopped onion||1-2 tbsp|
|Finely chopped tomato||1-2 tbsp|
|Finely chopped cilantro||1-2 tbsp|
|Beaten curd (mix with less than pinch of salt)||2 tbsp|
|Green chutney||1 tbsp|
|Tamarind chutney||1 tbsp|
|Sweet Chutney||1 tbsp|
|Chat Masala||to sprinkle (optional)|
- Arrange hot aloo tikki’s or patties or samosa in a bowl (or) middle of the plate.
- Pour hot ragda or chaat on tikki’s.
- Top with onions, tomatoes, chutney’s , curd , chat masala, lime juice and Cilantro.
- Serve immediately.