|Urad dal||half cup|
|Par boiled rice||3/4 cup|
|Pepper corns||1tsp (coarse powder)|
|Curry leaves||10 (chopped)|
|Onions||1cup (finely chopped0|
|Green chillies||4-6 chopped|
|Cumin seeds||tsp + tsp|
|Baking soda||2 pinch (optional)|
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal for 4-6hrs. Give a couple of washes before grinding.
- By evening, grind rice and urad dal like regular dosa batter. The consistency of the batter should be thickly coats a spoon when dipped in it.
- Take into a bowl, add curry leaves, curd, salt, pepper powder, tbsp oil and tsp cumin seeds and mix well. Cover and keep in the warm place for fermentation up to 12hrs.
- Before making dosa mix baking soda and mix for 2-3times.
- Mix onions, green chillies and cumin seeds in a separate bowl.
- Heat non stick pan or tawa. Pour ladle full of batter on center of pan and spread the batter like dosa or pancake
- Top some onion mixture and pour 1/2tsp of oil on edges and on dosa and cook till dosa color changes to golden color. Flip dosa, drizzle some oil and cook it for another 2mintues. Fold and remove.
- Serve with Chutney.
This recipe shared by my friend MANJULA. Using above ingredients , she makes KANCHI IDLI. Only a slight change in making batter. Before soaking parboiled rice and rice should grind into coarse powder or like rava. Then soak in water for 4-6hrs and squeeze the water. Combine urad dal batter and rava and mix cumin, curd, oil, pepper,curry leaves and salt. Ferment for 12 hours and mix baking soda before making idlis. Grease idli plates with ghee or oil before making idli Steam and serve with chutney.