Mutton stew is perfect side dish for Bagara rice and variety of Biryan’s rices. I got this recipe from my cousin “UMA SANJAY”. Whenever I visit her home, Hyderabad she serves this dish with nice veg/ non-veg biryani. It tastes delicious........Here is the recipe.
|Ginger Garlic paste||2 tbsp|
|Chilly powder||3 to 4 tsp|
|Onions||2 cups (chopped)|
|Green Chilies||4 slit|
|Coconut and Poppy seeds paste|
(blend together into fine paste)
|Dry coconut powder - 2 tbsp|
Poppy seeds - 2 tbsp
|Garam Masala |
(grind into powder)
Cinnamon-inch size sticks 3
Caraway seeds/ Shajeera - 1/2 tsp
|Fresh Mint||1/2 cup|
|Fresh Peas||1/2 cup|
|Fenugreek leaves / Methi||1 cup|
|Medium sized tomatoes||2 (chopped)|
- In a bowl add washed mutton, ginger garlic paste, curd, red chilly powder, turmeric and salt to taste. Mix and marinate it for 30 minutes.
- Heat tbsp of oil in sauce pan and fry chopped fenugreek leaves/methi , till raw smell disappears. Add tomatoes and saute for 1-2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure pan and fry Caraway seeds/ shajeera, onions and green chillies till onions are light golden in color.
- Add (only) mutton pieces to onions and keep marinated gravy aside. Mix and cook the mutton for 5-10minutes.
- Now add coconut and poppy seeds paste. Mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add marinated gravy. Mix and cook it for 5minutes.
- Add 250ml of water. Check salt at this point.
- When water starts boiling add powdered garam masala, fresh peas (optional), fried methi-tomato and chopped mint leaves. Stir and pressure cook, till mutton is cooked.
- Adding fried methi and tomato is optional. It tastes still good even without adding these two veggies.
- Adjust water and other spice ingredients according to your desire taste and gravy consistency.